Friday, March 14, 2008

Mecca Adjacent




Everytime I see the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theatre I am moved. It touches me in a place that is so familiar and home I can hardly express it.

This performance was held at Zellerbach Hall at UC Berkeley. My first time at this venue since moving to Northern California. It's a beautiful hall. I had seats in the main orchestra section at the very back. The seats were in the middle so I could see the whole stage.

From the first note of music the evening was transformtive. They started with "Firebird". The lead was danced by one of my favorite all time Ailey dancers, Matthew Rushing. Matthew is as handsome as he is talented. He has the kind of energy that draws you to him no matter where he is on the stage. The next piece was a west coast premiere called, "The Groove to Nobody's Business". It is a new work by Camille Brown. It blew me away!!! Another revived work was Monte's "Treading". With the pulsating music, lights, and costumes this work totally transported me. Of course the evening ended with the signature work, "Revelations". I don't care how many times I see this work I never tire of it. I know some of the steps by heart and look for them (the flick of the wrists in "Fix Me Jesus", the undulations and contractions in "Wade In The Water") even though throughout the years I have seen them danced by different dancers.

All in all it was a great evening...

No comments: