Friday, June 26, 2009

A Few Thoughts On Michael Jackson...



For people around my age, Michael Jackson has always been. I've seen and heard the stories some true, some not so true about how he and his brothers came to Motown records but it was the music, dance, and fashion style they presented that hooked most of us in. Apple caps and fringed vests wouldn't have been what they were if it wasn't for them.

Although I listened to his and the Jackson 5/Jackson's music all my life my first big understanding of how popular they were came when they did their "Victory" tour at the Forum in my hometown of Inglewood, Ca.

People came from everywhere to see them. People of different ethnicities, social levels, celebrities. It was very exciting. The concert itself was amazing. The opened with the great song, "Can You Feel It"



The night took off from there. I don't remember anyone sitting during the entire show. Me and my friends were wired all the way home. We lived less than a mile from the Forum and walked home talking all the way. The night was warm and we sat in the park across the street from my house and did all the dance moves for a couple of hours.

When Michael officially went solo with the, "Off The Wall" album it was only a foretaste of what was to come. The jams from there were numerous. I loved the video for "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_hz2am90Hk

I wasn't ready for the "Thriller" album

I'm not sure if anybody was. I remember the first song I remember hearing from it was , "Beat It". Actually I might've heard another song before that but "Beat It" had such a profound impact it's the one that stands out.

I was with my friends, Aldo and Dean. We had a boombox and it came on the radio. The opening bass line began and we stopped whatever we were doing. No one said, "hey listen..." we all just instinctively stopped. We were quiet for the whole song and afterwards we were like, "what was that?" we wanted to call the radio station and have them play it again. They somehow got the message and we listened to the song continually for days on end. I at that point knew that music would not be the same. Not many people remember this but before Michael Jackson African American artists were not played on the burgeoning MTV cable station. He changed music forever with that album.

My other biggest memory of Michael Jackson was getting together at a friend's house to watch the debut of the "Thriller" video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtyJbIOZjS8

Not everyone in the neighborhood had cable at that time. We all got together at Leon's house. We had food and a little bit of a party. There must have been about 20 of us there. Of course afterwards we all wanted to learn the dance.

It was an interesting time in my life at that point. Of course Michael went on to achieve more than I ever imagined even after instinctively knowing he changed music.

His personal issues sometimes were a bit much to take for someone who just wanted to remember when he made me listen and see music differently than I ever had before.

Thankfully we have those things to remember him by. I am prayerful for his family, especially his children because I know there are those who will seek to take advantage of this situation.

Peace, Michael Jackson...

No comments: