Thursday, February 4, 2010

And... Ancestors Have Welcomed A New Angel...



A few years ago I walked into a place that would totally change my life. It was/is called "PoetsJazzHouse". When I went that first night I didn't expect to meet people who would become my friends and inspiration.

Even though she wasn't there on that night Nikki Dillard but she was at the time with Derek Shaun the co-host of the show.

We all became family. If we were to assign roles "Nikki 1" as she was called would have been the sassy sister. She could do poetry, sing, act, and many other things. She had the habit of finding a popular song and changing the lyrics to introduce the regulars. She came up with a Jill Scot joint for me without knowing that at the time Jill Scott was my favorite artist. She just had an innate sense of what worked. She even composed a song to warn guests about noise from cell phones. It was to the tune of Kate Vigo's, "The Way I Are/The Doo Doo Song"

I am standing on the stage
And I need your full attention
No more talking paper rattling
Other things I need to mention
And if your cell phone happens to ring, don't say hello!
There's some refreshments in the back, and leave some money at the do!


Nikki also set the tone for, "After 10" poetry. We used to have students who were younger than 18 come from JobCorps and because we didn't want to influence them any erotic poetry was done after 10pm--after intermission when the students had left for the evening. One of her classics was about eating a "Frosty" ice cream. It was Hot! It was because of Nikki I was liberated to write my signature piece, "Literary Masturbator"

Nikki was a warm and loving woman who I will never forget. Her legacy will definitely live on...



1 comment:

CMAHMI said...

I've been thinking about Nikki all day and night. What a beautiful beautiful Woman. I'm so glad I had the chance to meet her this life time.