Thursday, June 21, 2012

Words Hurt, Words Heal....

There's a video I've seen posted on facebook and I suppose it's been circulating on the internet titled, "Children singing Ain't No Homos Gon' Make It To Heaven"

I haven't watched it and don't plan to watch but that video coupled with the one showing the Pastor talking about killing off gays by putting them behind an electric fence touched something very deep & visceral in me. In my essay, "Let The Healing Begin" included in the anthology, "Mighty Real" I talk about how I didn't receive many personal abomination messages but by their actions and the secrecy of the way things were handled, you knew being gay was something to be kept under wraps. The church back then (and today)is full of Same Gender Loving people and it's unfortunate and sometimes fatal when they hear messages that not only will they not have a place in heaven, but while they are living here on earth they should be placed behind an electric fence and left to die.

The bible and its multitude of mis-interpretation has been used for so long to explain so many things that I feel have nothing to do with a divine plan for us individually and as a society. Even ideas about heaven, hell, devil, and other things are open for questioning for a liberated believer.

About 6 weeks ago I was up late and was doing some searching on youtube and ran across about a movie called, "Prayers For Bobby". I'm not sure if I'd heard of the movie before. Full disclosure it was a movie that originally aired on the Lifetime Channel and to be honest I am biased and occasionally prejudiced about movies/shows on there. I think they are mostly cheesy, very weepy, woe is me kind of stuff. I don't mind a good drama but not something that is formulaic and intended to tug at your heartstrings. I was fully awake and ended up watching the entire movie.

It was a story of a teenager, Bobby is who just opening to the idea that he is Same Gender Loving. He lives in a suburban area small town in the Bay Area. A city named Walnut Creek. It could be anywhere USA and even though I thought I wouldn't be able to relate to it because the family was very white it turned out since the story is so well told it none of that mattered. Bobby experiences some liberation but could not turn off the messages drummed into his head from his very religious mother, which of course makes him devalue his self worth. He eventually kills himself and the latter part of the movie is the story of his mother coming to grips with not only the role she played in her son's death, but also understanding human sexuality as it relates to spirituality.

The movie is set in the early 80's when the city of Walnut Creek is considering having a Gay Liberation Day celebration. Mary attends the City Council meeting along with some other members of PFLAG and delivers this moving & very touching speech about how what we say can have an impact that we don't consider:



Thankfully there is hope. I saw another video of a young boy reading a speech on a local news station in NY that he wasn't allowed to give at his school. His words don't give me hope for the future, because tomorrow is not promised, it gives me hope for now because if he can get it, anyone can.....



He and his mother have received some negative feedback but I believe that the goodness of his intentions will far outweigh any negativity that will come his way.

Always remember Words Can Hurt but thankfully they also have the ability to heal....


No comments: