Sunday, June 28, 2015

Review of, "Mr. Loverman" by Bernardine Evaristo


I was close to finishing, “You Can't Do That on Broadway!: A Raisin in the Sun and Other Theatrical Improbabilities” by Philip Rose when I said to myself and the Universe, “I’d really like to read a well written book of fiction.”

As I was leaving the South Branch of the Berkeley (CA) Public Library I happened upon a display that was set up to celebrate June as LGBT Pride month. I stopped to look at the books, dvd’s, and other media. I was thumbing through, “Kehinde Wiley” by Thelma Golden a collection of and information about his artwork which I had become fascinated with after seeing, “Kehinde Wiley: An Economy of Grace” at a film festival and also on PBS. I also noticed a dvd of the documentary, “Call Me Kuchu” about Gay Activists in Uganda. I walked around the other side of the display and noticed a book cover that featured a smiling handsome older gentleman of African descent who was nattily dressed in a suit, with a colorful vest, hat, and beautiful jewelry. The title said, “Mr. Loverman” which made me smile thinking of the song by Shabba Ranks. Never having heard of the author, Bernardine Evaristo I read the front and back inside flaps. The combination of the summary, reviews on the back cover, as well as the cover photos was enough to pique my interest, so I took it to the self checkout machine and decided I’d finish my current book so I could start this one in the morning.

I hadn’t read a book of fiction that kept me riveted since, “The Twelve Tribes of Hattie” by Ayana Morris about a year and a half ago. I was hoping this book would be of the same distinction.

I began reading the book and and was immediately drawn into the characters and story. So much so that when the characters began speaking in their patois I could hear the sounds of the voices I’d assigned to them in my head. (To quote Sheldon from, “Big Bang Theory” - “I’m not crazy. My mother had me tested.”)

The chronicle of of Barrington J. Walker’s life is told in current time and through flashbacks by himself, his long time friend and lover Morris, his family, and several supporting and supplemental characters. Taking place in Antigua & London, two places I’ve never visited but found very familiar by Evaristo’s knack for imbuing her writing with vivid descriptions of people and place that came to life for me.

Each character is fully explored and enhances the plot. I process reading cinematically so it was easy for me to want this to become a series akin to, “Downton Abbey” because even though I was not close to finishing the book I was already interested to see what would happen to these people over time.

Touching on topics of love, family/familial relationships, heritage, marriage, colonialism, politics, child rearing, outing/being out, and a myriad of other subjects Evaristo has puzzled these themes into a clear and concise parable.

By the 4th chapter I’d posted on the facebook pages of my friends Stephen St. John who is of Caribbean descent (Trinidad & Tobago) & Haqumai Sharpe to get the book, read it, so we could discuss it. About halfway through the book I began counting the pages left because I wanted to slow down my reading so I could savor the story like some of my mother’s cooking. Something I no longer get to experience often so when I do I take special care to taste every delicious bite.

I am thankful for the discovery of this book as well as a brilliant writer whose other books I am looking forward to making part of my collection. Conjuring up the request of finding a well written book of fiction was definitely fulfilled by this choice.



Jair, The Literary Masturbator is a writer, poet, spoken word artist, vocalist, activist, and arts curator living in Oakland, California.

His work has appeared in numerous magazines, print publications on-line,as well as anthologies, "Black Gay Genius: Answering Joseph Beam's Call", "Mighty Real: An Anthology of African American Same Gender Loving Writing", and "Tapestries of Faith: SGLBT African American Stories of Faith, Love & Family".

His book,”Touch: Poems & Other Writings of Love, Erotica, & Sensuality”, is available through several on-line booksellers.

He has appeared at and curated numerous spoken word events and festivals and is currently Co-Coordinator of the Nommo Spoken Word Ensemble at City of Refuge UCC.

You can contact Jair at theliterarymasturbator@gmail.com, follow him on Twitter: @litmasturbator, and like his Facebook page facebook.com/jairtlm

Jair is a Libra, Laker Fan, and former Staring Contest Champion of Mrs. Worthington's 4th Period English class at Albert Monroe Jr. High in Inglewood, California.





No comments: