Wednesday, December 31, 2008

And I'll Take With Me The Memories, To Be My Sinshine After The Rain...






2008 was surprising in that so many people dear to me made transition...

Reverend Charles Lanier
was the first person I met when I entered the doors of Unity Fellowship Church-Los Angeles. He was Deacon Charles back then and I wasn't exactly sure where the church was located on Jefferson so I'd left early to make sure if I got lost I could get to morning service on time. It was easier to find than I thought it would be so I got their well before the time morning worship started.

Deacon Charles in all his pearl earrings wearing glory. He was so welcoming an inviting. He almost instantly became a friend, confidant, and mentor. I began to refer to him as "Deacon Auntie" because of the way he doted on me.

He was always available with advice, counsel, a funny story of his past, and a soprano note in his falsetto voice.

I watched him move through the ministry at Unity and maintain an openness and approachability for any and every one. He was willing to share his experiences as an addict, and HIV Positive Man, and a Same Gender Loving man who found his liberation with anyone he thought it would help.



Minister Regi Perry, is a friend and brother that had a profound impact on me. At 5' 7" he had a voice bigger than his size. I'd met him before we started working together as a duo.

Jeffrey King of the In The Meantime Men's organization asked if I would do a couple of poems for his birthday. I agreed to do it and there was one in particular I had in mind. It's called Idle Worship and when I wrote I knew I wanted to perform it with a vocalist that could do some gospel riffs in the background. One Sunday after church I asked Regi, "hey what are you doing on the 22nd?" he said he wasn't sure but he'd check his calendar. We made arrangements to meet and it was magical. Our performing styles were different but complimented each other tremendously.

To try out material we entered an upcoming slam. We won the 1st round and didn't know there were two rounds so during the break we put something together and ended up 3rd.

We didn't get a chance to perform together as much as we would have liked but every time we were together whether performing or just fellowshipping it was like connecting to another part of myself.

My niece, Adrianne Reese was so dear to me. Her passing hit me the hardest. I was in shock. Even though I've had other family members die, hers was so unexpected it shook me. I'd always assumed we'd grow old together.

Being the youngest in a family of 10 is a unique experience. I am actually closer in age to some of my nieces and nephews than my brother and sisters.

"Miss Anne" was my first niece and she was always someone who wore her heart on her sleeve. She had no filter. Whatever she was thinking you either heard about it or saw it in her face.

One of my favorite stories about her is during a summer family reunion. Some activities were broken down into age groups. The teens/young adults got to go to Magic Mountain. I was a about 15 or 16. My nephew Richard, her brother was 11 or 12. Richard and I are extremely close. More like brothers in alot of ways instead of uncle and nephew. We still call each other Brother to this day. Even though he wasn't officially a teen because of our closeness I lobbied for him to go with us. He could keep up with older kids. Adrianne who was about 8 or 9 wanted to go as well but there was no way I was going to be responsible for her. It was going to be mostly teens with some adult supervision and I wasn't willing to chaperon her. This was different from our trips to the movies or Hawthorne Mall. Magic Mountain was huge and we wanted to ride as many rides as possible. She'd only slow us down. She got so mad it was the first time I ever experienced daggers being thrown at me. She was mad at everyone, My sister Ora, her father James, Richard, me, the organizers, and probably God for making her young at that time. James my brother in law promised to take her at another time but she was HEATED!!! I am not sure how it got resolved because as we drove off I saw her face and it was contorted with such anger. We made it through and went on to have many years of love and laughter.

I will miss her dearly. In quiet moments it's hard for me to wrap my mind around the fact that she is gone. She leaves behind many who love her dearly.

She is a daughter, sister, cousin, friend, auntie, mother, wife, and my niece...

1 comment:

JayJayDidIt said...

Hi Uncle, it's me JaMese! I googled Miss Anne's name today in the hopes of feeling better because I was having a down day thinking about my big sister and I came across your blog! At first I thought this was Auntie Pat's blog, lol! Then I thought about that... "Confessions of a Literary Masturbator" isn't quite Auntie Pat's style! How are you? I miss you. I haven't spoken to you in ions. Shoot me an email so we can talk and I will keep you abreast of the things that are going on with Denayja and myself. Khamrismom@ yahoo.com

I love you and I will talk to you soon.
JaMese Reese