Thursday, February 26, 2009

Flashback Thursday-American Idol Has Officially "Jumped The Shark"

I was such a fan of American Idol for the first few seasons. My fascination began to fade after about the 4th Cycle.

Last nights show proved that they officially have, "jumped the shark".

That phrase was created after Fonzie jumped over a shark on a cliffhanger episode of "Happy Days" to try and improve ratings. It's applied to any show that does things to try and make a show that has slipped in popularity more relevant.

For me the declarations of, "best group of singers ever" this season just has not panned out. The singers are not picking good songs and the comments from the judges don't make it any better.

Last night "Norman Gentle" did a terrible version of "And I Am Telling You". I get that it's meant to be comedy and the first couple of times I saw his shtick I enjoyed it. Last night I thought, "I can't believe the producers manipulated this situation for him to make the Top 36"

It made me long for some of the performances that blew me away in this round of competition of Idol seasons past,

Fantasia singing "Something To Talk About"

I fell for her instantly and knew she was destined to make it. I actually haven't enjoyed her music as much as I did her performances back then.



Anwar Robinson singing, "What A Wonderful World" was also another highlight



I loved her and I loved her performance. Tamyra Gray was my favorite the first season of Idol. This performance for me was great because it was hers and not Luther's version since she got to work with Burt Bacharach.

I thought Latoya London looked and sounded so beautiful with this performance. I hadn't noticed her before this. I am not sure if it was because they hadn't featured her or because I was taken by Fantasia by this point but this performance definitely put her on the map for me. Remember this was the "3 Divas" season. LaToya, Fantasia, and Jennifer Hudson...



Loved Loved Loved Kelly with this performance!!! The note she hits on "alive"...WHEW!!!

No comments: