Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Precious: Based on the novel "Push" by Sapphire...

I read the novel, "Push" by Sapphire years ago when it first came out. I never thought of it as a movie. I always loved the book but after I read it I let it go as a product of it's time. It's such a book of the late 80's because of the style and focus of the book.
.

Sapphire is a talented writer and poet and I'd heard she resisted it being made into a movie until she'd seen Lee Daniels' "Shadowboxer". After seeing that she knew he was a director who had the vision to pull off the material in PUSH without it being made into something that explotied the subject matter.


I'm so glad Lee Daniels did this movie. It's one of my favorite of the year and destined to be one of my all time favorites. I can not wait until it released on dvd so I can have it in my pesonal collection.

Much has been said about the performances in this movie and they are incredible. Mo'Nique, Mariah Carey, Paula Patton, Sherri Sheppard, and Lenny Kravitz are all perfectly cast and their portrayals are something to behold. The standout is newcomer Gabourey 'Gabby' Sidibe who for me gives a performance that seeps into your bone marrow.


The entire movie is extremely well paced with highlights interspersed with the heaviness of the material. There were audible gasps a few times as well as laughter in very human moments.


I am planning on seeing this movie again really soon just to take in what I might've missed. I will probably be viewing this movie for a long long time...

No comments: