Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Mighty Real: An Anthology of African American Same Gender Loving Writing


I got my Contributor's Copy of, "Mighty Real" yesterday. I have an essay in it titled, 'Let The Healing Begin." After opening I ran my fingers across the covers and just held it close to me trying to absorb all the words through my pores. From The Harlem Renaissance through 60's Revolution. On the shoulders of Richard Bruce Nugent, James Baldwin, Assato Saint, Audre Lorde, Nella Larsen, Essex Hemphill, Joseph Beam, and many many others we stand in this new collection....and AIN'T WE FIERCE!!

I began reading some of the other contributions by friends and others I know and had it reminded me how talented they are. Sometimes I forget because they are my friend but I was definitely in the presence of artistic brilliance.

There are some writers I don't know personally and others I have recently become acquainted with in that grand scheme of social networking called, "facebook" but I am looking forward to taking a few days of being with myself and just reading what is we have contributed to our community as griots and gatekeepers.

This extensive collection includes poetry, short stories, plays, essays, sermons, & interviews. Edited by Royce Bryant Smith & Darius Omar Williams I know it has been a long process of conception and birth and I personally am grateful to, "be in the number." Both Darius and Royce deserve our thanks and congratulations for a job not just well done but one that goes over and above.

Please do yourself a favor and add this to your personal library and suggest it to friends near and far. If you are a celebrant of Kwanzaa it would make a great zawadi. You may not receive it by Jan 1st the day gifts are exchanged but in the spirit of Kwanzaa this is a gift that will uplift and illuminate.

Mighty Real is available on lulu.com, barnesandnoble.com, and amazon.com

1 comment:

Chanel said...

This sounds like something I absolutely need to be a part of, whether it's solely buying a copy or contributing. Definitely my cup of tea! Many congrats on being a contributor to such a powerful collaborative piece.