Thursday, December 9, 2010

Scottsboro Boys Closing...

I was really hoping that this musical would be able to sustain an audience and eventually tour. I first heard about it because I am a big fan of Colman Domingo. I'd seen him in, "The Big Gay Sketch Comedy Show" where among other things his Craiglist's ads as Maya Angelou and also the musical, "Passing Strange" I always thought the story of the Scottsboro Boys was an interesting time in America's history. It wasn't a story I was even aware of in school. It's not covered in many history books but it's definitely a familiar story if you have roots in the south. Because of the death of Fred Ebb this was to be the last collaboration for Kander & Ebb who wrote such musicals as Cabaret, Kiss of the Spider Woman, Chicago, The Rink, and others. With their use of dark material as a source for musical theater and the addition of Susan Strohman I really thought this show would have a long run. But it is closing this Sunday December 12. The soundtrack which includes one of my new favorite songs, "Go Back Home" is available on-line at amazon.com and cduniverse.com

No comments: