Thursday, April 14, 2011

Kobe Bryant & When Sorry Isn't Enough (According To Some People)


It's no secret that I am a life long Laker fan and also a fan of Kobe Bryant. Well the other night Kobe was caught with his ignorance showing. He called a referee a, "Fucking Fa****". I knew when it was caught on camera he would pay dearly in the court of public opinion. Of course Kobe doesn't have the best public persona to begin with. Because of the rape trial he was involved in and also the perception of him being arrogant with some people he will never win.

That being said I read a post on facebook that really spiraled out of control. Some of the people called him an asshole, others referred to the rape trial (which lead me to believe that the only things they know about him are that and this incident), one called for "outrage" whatever that is, others made references to if someone used the "n" word with him and I understand all that but the vitriol is really what amazed me. I am in no way supporting what he did and find what he did highly detestable but I also realize all of us have moments when we say or do things that are not the best display of who we are. So I posted a comment amongst the others that said:

It could be as a human he said something that was wrong and out of place because of his ignorance of not knowing how offensive it is. I'm sure none of us in the "GLBT" community have ever done that. Especially the ones with on-line profiles that use stuff like, "no fat, no fems"

I actually expected a backlash of people saying things and I was prepared for it but not only did no one say anything they acted as if I hadn't posted it at all. Just totally ignored it and kept on with the rants. It lead me to believe that the discussion wasn't so much about Kobe but just having a place to state your opinion without taking responsibility for it. Much like Kobe did, but he didn't get to hide behind the internet to do it. He got caught.

Last year during the NBA Finals against the Boston Celtics my nephew who like the rest of my family are die hard Laker fans posted a picture of Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, and Kevin Garnett holding up their jerseys and instead of their names on the back it had the words, "We Are Fags" I left a comment on the picture that said, "As a Laker fan it's mildly funny, as a Same Gender Loving man and your Uncle I find this offensive." My nephew apologized and took the picture down. I understood because I know my nephew was trying to make a joke that didn't work and even though it wasn't my job to put him in his place I did take it as on opportunity to let him know how such things can be hurtful.

Since the incident Kobe has been levied a fine of $100,000 and apologized but people have said it wasn't a real apology and it didn't go far enough. As I stated someone said, "there should be outrage" but of course I'm not sure what they meant by that.

Again I am not trying to defend Kobe's actions or cut him some slack but there should be some sort of human decency and respect given when someone says the wrong thing unless of course you've never done it. I for one know I have done and said some things that I deeply and truly am sorry for, one can only hope you are not defined by that and it becomes your legacy....

No comments: