Monday, July 25, 2011

For All We Know: In Memory of David Blair & Taylor Siluwe-Speaking Their Names....

I've found myself thinking of the lyrics to the Donny Hathaway song, "For All We Know..." after hearing about the transition of Poet, Spoken Word Artist, & Musician Blair (David Blair) and Author & Blogger Taylor Siluwe.



I first met Blair soon after moving to the bay area. He was here from Detroit featuring at a local spoken word spot. I had never heard of him before but I was blown away by his performance. He was only here for a few days but we managed to sneak in a lunch and have time to talk. Blair is one of those performers that tours constantly so I always assumed our paths would cross again. He was a gifted performer and I love the tone of his voice. I could listen to him read the phone book. Here's a sample of some of his work:



I'm know he will be missed by many other performers and people who grew to know him. Very gentle and warm spirit.



A few weeks ago I woke to read several posts on facebook and other places that Author & Blogger Taylor Siluwe had transitioned. I had never met him but we spoke through messages and IM chats about meeting once I finally made my long planned & hoped for trip to New York. He was one of the first to join the fan page for my book and also sent an encouraging note in support of me getting it published. I loved his blog and his work it was so organic and seemed to come from a place of really trying to inform people. I loved that the way he wrote wasn't just to humor himself or show how smart or talented he was.



I'm the youngest of 10 and had a brother & sister die as well as a niece that I never expected. It just never literally entered the realm of possibility that we would not all grow old together. I'm really understanding how eternal life is not some notion we were taught in traditional religion about heaven or something "over there" but it's like the ancestors told us to speak the names of those we have met in this life so their lives live on....

Both these guys will be missed by many and like I said it really has got me thinking,

For all we know
We may never meet again
Before you go
Make this moment sweet again

We won't say goodnight
Until the last minute
I'll hold out my hand
And my heart will be in it

For all we know
This may only be a dream
We come and we go
Like the ripples of a stream

So love me, love me tonight
tomorrow was made for some
tomorrow may never come
For all we know...........

No comments: