Friday, July 15, 2011

Reflection, Renewal, & Laughter....

Last week I attended, "The Fellowship" Convention in Las Vegas, NV. The Fellowship is a conglomerate of open & affirming churches lead by my Pastor, Bishop Yvette Flunder.

I've attended many workshops, conferences, conventions, & convocations over my life and I've learned to use them as a place of renewal for me. I really needed it I've had a series of disappointments from people not following through on things that they've promised or that we've spoken about. I won't go into detail because honestly I am still bitter about some of it and I don't like being that way. It's something I'm definitely working on. I don't want my look on life to be skewered by hanging my hopes on another person's actions but it is at least for me disappointing & upsetting when people don't do what they said they would do and then avoid contact with you because they haven't especially when you consider those people to be friends/people you love. I have learned it's important to return phone calls, e-mails, and messages. Even if the answer is no and will cause disappointment it's better to know it than to leave things in limbo.

Music has always been a balm for me and during my time at The Fellowship in Las Vegas I got a chance to participate with the National Mass Choir. This is always a highlight for me because there is just something so special about people from different churches coming together to form a choir. Usually you get people who are dedicated to the Music Ministry so there is an extra level of energy. The music for the nightly services was phenomenal! Even Mother Shirley Miller, the partner of Bishop Flunder said she thought it was the best the National Choir has sounded since the beginning of The Fellowship.

One highlight was a tribute to Sylvester by Martha Wash, B. Slade (formerly Tonex), Gene Viale, Bishop Flunder, and the incomparable Charlene Moore who is the National Minister of Music for The Fellowship. Both Martha & Charlene sang background for Sylvester and Bishop Flunder was one of the Associate Pastors at Love Center when he attended services there. Here is a wonderful rendition of one of his most famous songs, "You Are My Friend" by these amazing vocalists:



I saw this video first on facebook and it just made me smile and filled with such joy. This kid is so excited that he's met his first pair of husbands. It's like he found money or something!! Then just as a kid would do let's them know he's going to play ping pong and invites them!

No comments: