Thursday, March 15, 2012

Healing: My Yearly Pilgramage To See The Alvin Ailey Company....


I'm always trying to remember the first time I became aware of the Alvin Ailey Dance Company. I'm sure it was on PBS in the, "Dance In America" series but I don't know exactly when. I've always been a fan of dance whether social or professional all my life. One of my family stories is they would put me on a table when I was very young so I could dance. There's just something about it that takes me to another place. I've spoken and written liberally about how seeing The Ailey Company was a conduit for my personal liberation. Most notably in the essay, "Let The Healing Begin" which is included in the anthology, "Mighty Real: An Anthology of African American Same Gender Loving Writing."


Under the direction of Robert Battle, the 3rd Artistic Director in 50 years (following Alvin Ailey & Judith Jamison) the company seems to have gotten a new polish. Everything seems sharper and fresher. It's wonderful to see.

Last night's program included, "Arden Court" choreographed by Paul Taylor and first performed in 1981. Mr. Battle said he included it just because he liked the dance and I totally agree. It was beautiful in every way and the dancers commanded the stage from the first moment the curtain went up.



The second dance of the night, "Takademe" was choreographed by Mr. Battle in an apartment in Queens. The staging confirms that the space was small but it does not take away from the power of this dance. Blending sharp & sinewy movements, comedy, and adept performance it is a short enjoyable piece that has quickly become a new favorite for me. The music is from an Indian Kathak dance and performed by vocalist Sheila Chandra. The music seems to flow through the dancer moving him around as if they have melded into one force.



"The Hunt" also by Robert Battle I saw for the first time last year and HAD to see it again. I am not sure how to describe but I just know it touches me in a place so innate. It's beautiful and primal all at the same time. The power and intensity of this dance is amazing. I would love to have a dvd copy of the full dance so I could dissect it. I'm not even totally sure what it's about, I just know it gives me goosebumps!!!



Of course no Ailey performance is complete without the classic, "Revelations" a dance that has celebrated more than 50 years in existence. Again as always it did not disappoint. I think one of the things that keeps it fresh is that there are different dancers at each performance so it never gets old. No one is saving anything because they have to perform this dance night after night. They have space in between to rejuvenate. It can't be easy to perform something so identified with the company and not have people have preconceived ideas. Last night the dancers danced through each movement and savored each moment as if the entire audience was seeing it for the first time...



I enjoyed the performance so much. I am contemplating getting tickets for balcony seats before the company leave this weekend. You can't see the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater too many times. See them is a place of healing for me...

No comments: