Friday, January 15, 2010

Reviews: Kobe Doin' Work & Passing Strange

Initially you would think these two works have nothing to do with each other but the tie that binds is the incredible work of Spike Lee.

As a narrative filmmaker I've enjoyed most of Spike Lee's films but occasionally they have left me wanting. I took it as artistic license. Some directors want you to work for yourselves. That being said I think as a documentarian Spike has really done some exceptional work. These two projects reviewed here, along with "4 Little Girls" & "When The Levees Broke" prove his has a keen eye at telling stories in the documentary genre that rivals many who have been making those kinds of films for years.


Kobe Doin' Work

I must admit my bias could show in this particular review. Along with most of my family I am a life long Laker fan. I grew up in Inglewood, Ca less than a mile away from "The Fabulous Forum" as it was known back in the day where the Lakers who gave way to "Showtime" played. In fact my high school graduation was held at the Forum. I knew Byron Scott as a teen and Elden Campbell and his family both of whom grew up in the area and attended Morningside High School.

My friends and I would get cheap tickets for the games and during blowout Laker wins when people closer to the action would leave their seats we'd sneak down and watch closer up. It seemed the security during that time didn't have to be as strict as it is now. I was one of those kids who'd hang over the railing hoping the players would slap our hands as they headed to the locker room at the end of games.

Kobe Bryant through his on and off court dealings has become part of the Laker legacy. He is the current banner holder for Laker greats. There have been times when he has wanted to leave the team but like others before him he seems to be a lifetime Laker.

This film follows him for one game against the San Antonio Spurs. With the use of cameras from ESPN and additional coverage by Spike and his crew we get an intimate view of what happens during a game with Kobe miked. Kobe also voice overs commentary explaining what is happening and his thought process during the flow of the action. He did the voice over work on the night that he scored 61 points against Spike Lee's beloved New York Knicks at Madison Square Garden in the 2007-2008 season. There is some ribbing between them about this that I found really funny from two men who respect each other but in another setting could've been two guys from the "hood" talking trash about to descend into a round of "yo momma" jokes.

Again I might be biased but I think Spike did a great job of capturing a lot of things we as sports fans and common observers don't see.

Even if you're not a fan of Kobe or sports this film gives you a glimpse of what it's like when someone is working in their passion.


Passing Strange

Passing Strange has a lot of passion as well.

It tells the story of a, "youth" trying to find himself. The themes are exploration and self discovery in the classic sense. It's something we all go through. That journey of getting away from what was already there only to re-discover it and realize it was there all the time.

One thing I realized after viewing this show is that some of my choices were made by a person (myself) who was living in fear so I can no longer fault that person for the decisions they made. They were doing the best they could at the time on the information they had.

I was watching the initial auditions of American Idol before I turned to the broadcast of Passing Strange on PBS's "Great Performances" series. Although it's fun to see people get a chance to pursuit their dreams on Idol and also watch the people who have no business auditioning within 5 minutes of Passing Strange I knew I was seeing true artistry at work.

The collaborators Stew & Heidi Rodewald have created a work that is deep, funny, insightful, and fresh even though the story is one that's been told in many formats by many people many times.

The musicians are top notch changing from each genre that is required to move the story forward from South Central Los Angeles, Amsterdam, Berlin, & back again.

The cast is exceptional. Each member except the, "Youth" & "Momma" characters portray three distinct and different people. It requires a adept skill at acting, singing, and dancing. They meet the task with aplomb and in a way I hadn't expected.

Spike Lee has done a great job of capturing the live theater experience of this show. I had heard of Passing Strange previous to this airing and seen clips of songs but that did not prepare me for the tidal wave of emotions I experienced while viewing. I highly suggest you look for the re-broadcast of this show in your area.

No comments: